Have you seen those “DIY get well soon gift baskets” floating around facebook? You know the ones, loaded with cans of chicken and noodle soup, crackers, sports drinks, candy bars, and medications? If you’re trying to put together a true “Get Well Soon” basket, try reaching for these items instead:
- Black Elderberry- research shows that taking elderberry within 24 hours of the initial symptoms improves flu like symptoms
- Buffered vitamin C- has been shown to decrease the duration of cold symptoms
- Homemade chicken soup (made with bone broth)- mom was right about chicken soup! It can help support your immune system, improve your digestion, and can even help thin the mucus in your lungs
- Coconut water- contains electrolytes and is a great way to rehydrate
- Zinc- can help improve your immune system and decrease the duration of cold symptoms
- Probiotics- helps to nourish your gut, a large amount of your health begins in your gut
As we go into cold and flu season, look for ways to support your body’s natural defense systems. If you or a loved one does come down with a cold (or the flu), keep in mind IVs may be another great way to support your immune system.